Thursday, February 10, 2011

“We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us.”

Winston Churchill

Kansas Wesleyan University has seen many beautiful buildings come, and unfortunately seen some go. On February 15th, it will have been 24 years since King Gymnasium was destroyed by an accidental fire. Built in 1916, it was one of the finest structures of its kind in the state of Kansas. Much of the credit for the building was given to the person it was named after, Dean Albert H. King.

I came across the Kansas Wesleyan Contact from the year the building was destroyed where they wrote a very nice tribute to the building and what it meant to the campus. You can click the images below to read the story

One of the reasons I am intrigued by this story? I grew up in Salina and can only imagine the number of times I came by this campus. When this building burnt down, I was 12 years old, (plenty old to remember such an event) and lived like 4 to 5 blocks away from campus, yet I cannot remember this building ever existing!  This is why we need to work to preserve our history, and why I need to play more Sudoku, in hopes it really does help to improve brain function and memory









No comments:

Post a Comment